{Stus-List} C&C 40 Lost without a trace

Jim Watts jimwatts at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 3 16:11:56 EST 2007

One thing not really mentioned yet is the load-carrying capacity of the
boat. "Real" blue-water boats have lots of room for water and fuel and food,
with provision for good ventilation during the worst of conditions. That
results in a much heavier boat than is the norm for C&C. Certainly the boats
are strong enough, in general, to cross oceans, but you might need to
install a watermaker to make up for the lack of tankage, and eat more
freeze-dried food than would be the case on a bluewater boat designed for
the task. During storms and hot weather, there will be a lot less air
movement than is desirable.
In addition, the motion comfort of a lighter-displacement boat is much less
than that of a heavier boat, so you may get where you are going faster, but
beat your body up worse en route.
In general, the capsize ratio of C&C's is sufficient to provide safe
recovery from a capsize, but far less than a designed world cruiser.
All that being said, I'd sooner take my 35 to Australia than a Hunter
Passage 40.

Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift
C&C 35 Mk III