{Stus-List} Sailing Alone Safely

Arthur Philip Dent dent at yip.org
Sat Feb 3 17:01:23 EST 2007

Jamie, definatly jack lines.  I was once in the school of thought that
jacklines weren't all that safe and would rather tow a line behind the
boat to grab on to if i get knocked overboard.  worked well for me until
the day i was soloing and my furler line got bunched up and couldn't furl
the sail up (was getting really windy and had it out to a 150).  so i walk
up to manual untangle while the boat was head to wind.  when i got back to
the helm, to bearaway, the rudder wouldn't move.  looked behind me and my
tow line with knots in the was wrapped around me rudder.  had to go diving
in late september in lake ontario to untangle.  (had mild hypothermia when
i got back in the cabin to warm up.  i left that school that day and went
to the school of jacklines.
also on my pfd i have a small pencil flare with a few flares on it and a
whislte :)
take care