{Stus-List} Genoa Track Question

John and Maryann Read johnpread at comcast.net
Sun Feb 11 12:59:49 EST 2007

Agree the loads on a # 3 and 4 are substantial, especially on a larger boat such as a 40 and a backing track seems to make sense

You may be right about the tracks ripping out, but offer our experience.  Tracks are approx 30 inches long, installed with standard stainless flat head bolts, nuts and two thick stainless washers under each nut.  Location is in a high strength area adjacent to the juncture of the cabin top and side.  Got trapped in heavy squall from the remnants of Hurricane Ivan during a race a few years ago.  Winds were forecast for sustained high 20's.  Based on shore side weather stations, we actually saw frequent 60 kt gusts and sustained 50 kts for over an hour.  Torrential rain with hail.  Seas rapidly built to 8 plus feet and were vertical shape of short duration.  This was the squall where a trimaran flipped over backwards due to a micro burst, killing a crew member.   We beat to weather off a lee shore and shallow water for a good 3/4 hour to gain access to harbor channel with only # 3 up.  Boat frequently on its side, falling off waves into troughs - definitely not fun and hope we never have a similar experience in the future.  The crew and I were definitely the worse for wear, but the boat and tracks held up just fine (good thing) and reinforced our confidence in the design and workmanship of our C&C, the value of ongoing maintenance, good gear and experienced crew.

John & Maryann Read
Legacy III
1982 C&C 34
Noank, CT