{Stus-List} Fuel Tank Removal/Cleaning

Alan-at-Home at comcast.net Alan-at-Home at comcast.net
Sun Feb 18 16:22:43 EST 2007

If you have the squeeze bulb before the Racor, you can open the bleed screw on the Racor and it will fill, letting the air escape.  Our yacht club diesel instructor suggested several things pertinent to this discussion:

1. Although the squeeze bulb will work, it is an area to watch. It's a potential leak problem, or, if it does develop a leak, it could introduce air into the lines.

2. Instead of a squeeze bulb, you can get a small electric pump to do the job.

3. Either way, pump or bulb, put them in parallel with the fuel line going from the tank to the Racor, with a shutoff valve in the fuel line so you can close the fuel line when you are using the pump or bulb for bleeding.

4. The lift pump supplies more fuel than is needed by the injector pump.  The excess fuel flows back to the tank.  If there is no air in the system after the secondary filter, a small amount of air left in the line prior to the secondary filter will flow back to the tank.  See Figure 2-13, page 19 in Nigel Calder's book "Marine Diesel Engines".

5. The best method for cleaning the tank (and the rest of the fuel system) is a pint of automatic transmission fluid in a tank of fuel.

I have my Racor filters (two in parallel which can be switched if one gets clogged) mounted near the bottom of the tank.  In order to bleed them, I just open the bleed screw, and fuel flows from the tank to the filter without pumping, as long as there is fuel in the line between the tank and the Racor filters.

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty

From: Jim Watts <jimwatts at shaw.ca>