{Stus-List} Cutless bearing replacement

Jim Watts jimwatts at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 19 12:21:12 EST 2007

Alan, I think that's exactly how Delta managed to explode my strut, by being
a little enthusiastic with hydraulics. I don't want to go there again. I'll
get quotes from a different company and see if it's reasonable. (HA!)
I figured I could do without the split bearing concept if I could live with
forcing the bearing up the shaft, keeping the cost and complexity down. That
way, I can use a solid pipe, machined to fit. Engineers out there: is 1/32"
enough clearance to allow to clear the shaft and the inside of the bearing
housing? I don't want it sloppy, but I also don't want it to bind halfway
in. Can I get away with 1/64"? The brass bearing wall is only 1/16" thick,
so there's not a lot to push on.
Once the bearing is free of the strut, it should be easy to cut off. I hope.

Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift
C&C 35 Mk III