{Stus-List} Misc C&C 35 Mark 3 questions.

keith morgenstern mrgnstrn at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 3 19:53:21 EST 2007

Hello all,

I hope that my following series of questions doesn't abuse the list too
much, so here goes:

1. Cutlass bearing:  Any body know the proper size for a replacement cutlass
bearing on the strut?  I am guessing it is 1"ID x 1-1/4"OD, but cannot get
my eyeballs to line up the marks on the ruler.

2. Rudder Bearing:  Anybody know the anatomy of this thing?  I have a Zerk
fitting to push grease into it, and loaded it up last off-season.  All that
grease, and all the old grease appear to have pushed up the bearing and is
dripping down the top of the bearing into the hull.  Is that normal?

3. I hearby declare my love, allegiance and faith in my Barient 27 self
tailing primary winches.  I don't care if they aren't new and fancy; I can
unbolt the gear carriers and work on it in the confort of my shed with my
workbench.  No lost springs for me! Woo Hoo!

4. I had previously asked about where to locate the spinnaker pole down
haul.  I have almost decided what works best for me.  The new question is:
On the inside of the forepeake, the overhead liner for the V-berth has a
ridge type thing running right on the center line.  Is that because the deck
has a longitudinal stiffener there, and the liner is follwing suit?  Or is
it to allow space for nuts and bolts to attach the afore-mentioned down haul
padeyes?  Basically is the ridge on the liner hollow, or am I going to have
the attachment hardware for my padeyes sticking down into the berth?

5. On the used Martec folding prop that I bought from someone else on this
list, there is slight play between the two blades.  Does anybody add shim
washers to prevent jamming, and what material would you use?  I can get 316
stainless, 18-8 stainless, copper, and brass shims.  None are perfect to
match with a bronze prop.  Also, should monel cotter pins be used to hold it
all together, or are stainless OK?

6. Anybody know if the owner of "Der Baron", a C&C 41 in West River, MD,
monitors this list?  I saw his boat in the yard today and would love to pick
his brain on some modifications that he did.

OK, that's all I could think of for now.

Thanks to all in advance for all you priceless info.

-Keith

Intro*Terms