{Stus-List} Under pressure

Jim Watts jimwatts at shaw.ca
Sat Mar 10 14:16:23 EST 2007

There was a discussion a couple of weeks ago about where to put the primer bulb when installing it: before or after the Racor. I put mine in before the Racor (because it was easier access and seemed "right") and discovered an unexpected bonus. I moved the Racor to get better access to it, and so had to relocate the in and out fittings. When I pumped the bulb to fill the Racor after installing a new filter, everything went fine, it was only a few pumps to fill. When I went to change out the secondary (Yanmar) on-engine filter, I discovered that the pressurizing had induced several easily-traced leaks in the fuel system which were corrected with a round of fastener tightening. I was reassured that my Racor fitting and filter change was airtight because it was first in the pressurized chain. Putting the bulb after the Racor would not have given me the same check.
I also discovered that my tank is probably full of crud because the old Racor filter sure was. Sea-tested Shift yesterday and I could maintain 3000 RPM no problem, but the boat feels a little underpowered. I suspect there is considerable blockage in the exhaust elbow, changing which is a job for another day when I feel more like becoming the human pretzel. Ow. I may hire a small mechanic for that one.

Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift
C&C 35 Mk III