{Stus-List} Barrier Coat

cscheaffer at comcast.net cscheaffer at comcast.net
Thu Mar 15 23:56:34 EDT 2007

I checked the can.  The minimum time between coats is two hours at 90 degrees.  The yard could easily put on four coats in one day if the temperature is high.  Especially if they sprayed it on.  Be sure to use the temperature of the hull, not the air.  Follow the mixing directions, use a drill with a stirrer attachment.  Mix thoroughly, and let stand for the 20 minutes, as directed, before painting.  Use solvent resistent rollers.

Caution:  If you plan on recoating continuously, you may want to wear a good respirator.  2000E gives off a strong smell when it kicks that irritated my throat.  Did mine when temps were in 50's & 60's so I just left the boat after a coat and returned after a day or two to recoat.  If I stayed to work on the boat while the paint dried, I'd start smelling it in the air and tasting the stuff.  Never get that with West System epoxy which I've applied inside at home.

Chuck

From: "rspence7" <rspence7 at cox.net>

Ed,  I thought thatthe min time was on the can - something like 4 hours.

Careful what the yard tells you, 'cause he really don't care about the smoothness of the finish, and loading a roller on uncured product will leave big time roller marks and lifting of the previous uncured surface.  Ain't worth it to try to push the time limit.

Roger