{Stus-List} Raw water strainer location

Jim Watts jimwatts at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 19 10:50:08 EDT 2007

Here's a question for the assembled multitudes. Alan Bergen mentioned to me that he had moved his raw water strainer to the front of the engine compartment, and I couldn't see how I could make room to do the same. He kindly sent me pictures of his installation yesterday, and I was surprised to see he had put the strainer well down on the wall, level with the engine beds. I hadn't considered mounting it below the waterline, since all the installations I have seen have the top of the strainer at the waterline. Is there any reason not to put it down low, besides increased chance of leaks? It would sure give me easier access to cleaning it out.

Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift
C&C 35 Mk III