{Stus-List} Thanks for Babystay Comments

Terry Johnson tj622 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 28 10:58:27 EDT 2007

I would like to thank everyone for their comments on the 1978 C&C 34
babystay issue. Mine was removed when I bought my boat. Based on the
comments and conversation that centered around the C&C 34 standard, I will
be putting mine back on. One boat owner wrote, and I agree...

There is no concept of a forward and aft lower shroud on this rig except for
the babystay. Without it there is nothing to prevent the mast from going out
of column due to pumping or sail forces. Tensioning the babystay, which
causes the mast to bend forward, causes the babystay and D1 shrouds to form
a tripod which stabilizes the middle of the mast. It seems imprudent to sail
without it. You may get away with if for years but end up regretting it.

Thanks again for all of your comments...

Terry Johnson
Lake Oswego, Oregon
C&C 34 - Ozymandias