{Stus-List} Traveler Location

David Ryan dryan at buckeye-express.com
Sun Mar 11 12:48:18 EDT 2007

I like the mainsheet arrangement across the floor of the cockpit. I have one
of the older C&C's that was a product of the IOR rule.  My traveller is
built into the 'bridgedeck' in front of the companionway, and is end-boom
sheeted. That area is just about max beam on my c&c. As it is built into the
bridge deck, it is right on top (actually recessed) into a prime seating
location. Too bad. Go sit somewhere else, blondie. Try that nice spot on the
rail.

For the floor-mounted traveller to work, you need a wide transom. The new
designs carry beam way back, adding a lot of form stability. Not so with the
IOR Broach-Coach design. I think putting the traveller in the floor of an
older C&C would severely limit any travelling, to the point of uselessness.
I haven't looked closely at the new ones coming out of Fairport Harbor, so
maybe those are different.

I think most mid-boom mainsheet locations are not for efficient sail
handling, but to 'de-clutter' the cockpit to make it a better place for
socializing. No serious boats have mid-boom sheeting.
My .02

Dave Ryan