{Stus-List} Ablative paints?

Jim Watts jimwatts at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 16 11:17:36 EDT 2007

The usually accepted difference between (what used to be called, apparently) sloughing and ablative is that sloughing paints are less controlled in their erosion. Ablative paints wear away evenly, leaving a smooth surface, whereas sloughing paints come off in chunks, lumps, and sheets, leaving a rough surface. Top-end ablatives, such as Micron CSC, also give you multi-season protection right through a haulout and winter storage, but single-season ablatives and all other paints lose their antifouling properties if left exposed to air for too long (which is why they have a maximum time to launch listed on the can). The other benefit of an ablative is that because it gradually wears away, it doesn't build up on the bottom, meaning you won't have a major sanding job to remove six zillion coats of paint in the future. As long as you have colour, you have protection. Shift came with blue ACT on the bottom, so I changed the bottom colour to black when I painted with Micron last summer. That way I know when I am getting thin on the Micron.
A good ablative will give you a much faster bottom than a sloughing paint, regardless of whatever terminology is used to describe them. You would have to give your bottom a heavy sanding to remove most of the remaining Bottomkote if you wanted to upgrade to an ablative, unfortunately.

Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift
C&C 35 Mk III