{Stus-List} Winter Charging Batteries and Running Engine

Russ & Melody russmel at telus.net
Mon Nov 5 22:13:50 EST 2007

Hi Micheal,
         I think equalizer & stabilizer are the same things when talking
about products. Battery equalizing (not equalizer) is the process of
slightly overcharging (in simple terms).

I used the "battery equalizer" solution and the Battery Minder
charger/conditioner to bring a large (8D) back from the dead a few years
ago. The battery went with my previous boat so I've lost touch to see if it
lasted.
Recently, I've used the Battery Minder to resurrect the severely abused
boat batteries. Group 27 combo deep/start batteries that were less than 6
volts when I got them. One went to 10 volts on a cruise 14 months ago. I
believe one is operating at maybe 80% capacity and the other is less. It
did okay on a lawn tractor battery and has failed to do anything to a half
dozen depleted normal start service auto batteries.

The Battery Minder is not a magic pill and is NOT a suitable replacement
for a real charger. It takes months to condition a battery and you can't
condition in parallel. I use it as "the baysitter" one battery at time, one
month rotation, over the winter months... I've got shore power most of the
time and occasionally get out for a sail, west coast.

         Cheers, Russ
         35 mk-1