{Stus-List} A new U.K. Branch of the C&C Owners Club?

Mark Govoni mjgovo at comcast.net
Mon Nov 26 20:56:10 EST 2007

Trying to take advantage of the weak dollar, are ya?  I think you'll find that the transportation cost will far exceed any cost savings on the boat, unless you buy a much larger or much newer boat than a C&C 27.

A couple years back, there was a guy from either Germany or the UK who flew into Boston to buy a pricey classic wooden sailboat on Cape Cod.  His plan was to sail it to Newport, RI (not all that far), have it loaded on a freighter, and fly back home out of Boston.  Unfortunately, he timed it too close.  The weather didn't cooperate, he had to have the boat in Newport to meet the freighter and... the boat unded up a total loss on a Cape Cod beach and his story ended up in the newspaper.  But apparently it's not all that difficult to arrange boat transportation into or out of Newport, RI.

Something else to consider: Once upon a time C&Cs were manufactured and sold in Germany.  Some there as well.

But if you can't be dissuaded, I know of a heck of a deal on a '71 C&C 27 in southeastern Mass.  Boat is in good shape and the price is so low that it might still make sense even with the transportation cost.  I'll forward more information if you're serious.

On the subject of serious... many boat sellers in the U.S. won't take you seriously for obvious reasons.  But even worse, they might take you for a scam artist.  Scams originating in Nigeria and targeting boat sellers in the US are not infrequent, particularly with eBay.

Mark
'73 C&C 25 Williwaw
Mattapoisett, MA