{Stus-List} 1985 C&C 37 C/B

Fred Hazzard fredh at ecsnw.net
Thu Oct 4 11:41:41 EDT 2007

Years ago I added a keel shoe to my C&C 34.  It improved my windward
performance dramatically.  Before the shoe, in anything over 12 kts, the
boat went sideways and we had to go to smaller under powered head sails. I
talked to Rob Ball about the project and was told he designed the boat for
6'6" of draft.  The marketing department changed it to 5'10".

Rob sent me a full size drawing of a shoe that added about 400 lbs and made
our draft 6'6".  We made the plug out of styrofoam, took it to a local
foundery who poured the lead into a sand mold.  We lag bolted and epoxied it
to the keel and did the final shaping with a (rented) power plane.  Once
faired and painted it looked like it had always been there.  Even after a
hard grounding.

The only down side was we lost a little light air performance.

Fred

C&C 44