{Stus-List} Engine trouble

David Knecht-charter david.knecht at uconn.edu
Sun Oct 28 18:17:12 EDT 2007

I need some engine (Yanmar 3GM) help from the experts.  I went to
take the boat over for winter haul out today.  It was blowing 25-30
and I was a bit hesitant, but it was offshore wind so waves should
not be too bad.  I was motoring halfway out of the harbor and things
went bad.  I went over a fairly large motorboat wake and a bit later,
the engine began to slow.  I turned around and headed back and the
engine oontinued to slow for about another minute and then quit
completely. We got a partial genoa unfurled and proceeded to work our
way back up to weather to the mooring and got the mooring line
secured on the second try.  It was a bit hairy, tacking through the
mooring field in those conditions, but thank goodness I didn't have
to try and land at a slip.

Anyway, suggestions on where to start when I go down to try to fix
this would help.  From other stories I have read, a clogged fuel
filter from stirred fuel seems like a possibility.  However, we were
not in heavy seas, and the one wake we went over was no worse than
many we have gone over all summer and it was just one wake.  I looked
at the filter when we got back, and the fuel in the primary bowl and
the filter looked fine to me.  However, I have never had a clogged
filter.  Should it be obvious?  I have antimicrobials and every other
additive you can mention in my diesel fuel, and I drained the tank
this spring and could find no evidence of crud on the bottom.  I did
not pull the tank, so am not positive, but I stirred and scraped and
pumped from the bottom, and it came out clean looking.  I filled the
tank in May, and I have used the engine so little that it is still
the same fuel in there.  When I tried to start it at the mooring, the
engine would turn over very roughly and then die as if not hitting on
all cylinders.  I am hoping that the gradual slowing of rpm initially
and the rough starting will mean something to someone.  Thanks- Dave

Masquerade- 1982 C&C 34
New London, CT