{Stus-List} Grab Rail Replacement on C&C 33-1

Bob Moriarty bobmor99 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 14:56:59 EST 2008

> Hi Dave,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The new rails are made from a beautiful piece of mahogany that I got from a
local liveaboard. There's still some sanding, pre-bending and finishing to
do.

I wonder how C&C originally attached the forward sections of the external
grab-rails to the deck. Did they just drill some wood screws from above into
the deck and balsa(?) core?

I'm not clear what you meant by

<SNIP>
 I used stainless machine screws, 2 per grab-rail base, that go down from
the handrail, through the deck, and into circular cutouts in the headliner.
That is probably what those thin metallic caps cover.
</SNIP>

The thin metallic caps (as you mentioned, one pair is found on stbd above
the head) cover holes with a diameter not much bigger than a pencil. I
wonder what's the purpose of the holes. I initially thought they were there
to allow a screwdriver to drive a pair of screws up into the external
grab-rail's base. But, as I mentioned earlier, I didn't feel anything
metallic when I probed with a screwdriver. Maybe some screws or bolts are up
there but they're covered with caulk.

Did you have any difficulty removing your old rails?

--Bob