{Stus-List} Mr. Wizard Question re: holding tank venting

Ed mainsul at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 18:03:05 EST 2008

I close my head seacock and run fresh water from the hose into the head then flush it through to the tank every time we get back to the dock after the head has been used.  No more dead sea creatures in the head or lines.  I guess they are still in the black water tank but the chems in there must kill them?

  Ed
Va Beach

rspence7 <rspence7 at cox.net> wrote:
          If you are in salt water, the "what's the smell" is probably dead marine growth that used to live within the rim of the bowl, but died after you last left the boat.  If the foul smell doesn't return when you flush the second time, etc, that's the cause.

  Fan in holding tank will not help.  There are inline chlorinator units, that accept a "urinal candy" between the intake seacock, and the intake pump that kill the bacteria, but I did'nt find them particularily useful, especially since they need to be placed below the waterline, and were prone to leak.