{Stus-List} Calling all C&C 29 sailors

Hank Evans hank at afjohnsonmillwork.com
Fri Feb 29 09:18:39 EST 2008

Jim,

That's OK.  I kind of like that urban legend about winning every race :)

Jack Cornish did a pretty good job of describing how to sail a 29-1 fast.
I'd add a couple of things like never drag the transom, sail it like a dingy
(especially in heavy air) , reef early and play the traveler like a violin.
.  It has a smaller groove than a lot of boats, but once you're in it, it's
not hard to stay there. A lot of people will try to sail with the both
telltales streaming aft.  In the 29, that is too low.  Assuming you have set
up so all three sets break evenly, then  you need to sail with the windward
one flicking and taking bites to windward on top of that when you get a
puff.  When the wind got over 20, I used to change places with my wife and
take the mainsheet.  She had a woman's light touch for feathering it into
the wind and seas and keeping it on its feet.  She simply felt the boat
better than I did in those conditions and usually made ground for us upwind.
She also feels the airplane better than I do, even though she is not a
pilot. She can feel if my turn is a little uncoordinated whereas I can't and
have to look at the turn and bank indicator. A woman's gentle touch, I guess

.

Jack made an interesting observation about sailing Star boats and wishing
for a bendy mast on a 29.  We used to carry all the prebend we could get in
the 29 mast and combined with cranking on the backstay, got a pretty good
bend out of the telephone pole.  I cut my teeth in Star boats as a teenager
and while it doesn't bend like a Star, you can a pretty decent amount.  The
legendary Skip Doyle ( Youngstown Yacht Club on Lake Ontario) figured out
the prebend thing on his "Rockin Chair".  It made a big difference in
performance.

Hank