{Stus-List} Awlgrip or Poli-Glow

Bill Bina billbina at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 10 08:52:32 EDT 2008

That question would be very hard to answer as asked.  :-)

Here are some things to consider:

Give your boat the poli glow prediction test. Simply spray the hull with
a garden hose. What the hull looks like wet is what it will look like
with poli glow.

If that doesn't convince you, buy the poliglow starter kit for $65 and
just do the transom. If it looks good, just continue on with the rest of
the boat. If it doesn't satisfy you, just use the included stripper to
remove it and  go ahead with the awlgrip.

Two years ago, a guy in our marina with a very badly faded and chalky
dark blue C&C 24 spent a couple of days wet sanding with very fine grit
paper (not compounding with compounding paste!) to even out the color
better, and then applied 8 coats of poli glow. Looked like it had been
dipped in clear plastic. This spring, he washed the boat with plain
water and applied 2 renewal coats. Took him about an hour and a half
from start to finish. Looks just as good as the original application.

For a 30 foot boat, the $65 poly glow starter kit will do the initial
application and have enough left over for the next year or two of
renewal coats. Figure annual maintenance cost for materials after that
runs out at about $10-$15.

So how attractive is the price of the awlgrip compared to that?

I think it's well worth $65 and a few hours of your time to do a test
application of poli glow.

Bill Bina