{Stus-List} wing-on-wing questions? situation 2

dwight veinot dwightveinot at hfx.eastlink.ca
Sat Jun 28 11:00:04 EDT 2008

Steve

You could just install a pole ring like part number 19012 in the attached
site at the appropriate height on the forward side of your mast and that
will support the inboard end of your pole.

Without a topping lift the spin pole will drag the clew of the sail down
towards the water which is not good...you need to keep the clew higher to
get good sail shape, especially in light air, and without a topping lift on
the pole that is not possible.  Whisker poles can work without a topping
lift because they are usually much lighter weight than spinnaker poles.  I
believe your pole should always be forward of the shrouds so with your boat
which has forward lower shrouds the pole will never get perpendicular to
centerline. I think you really need a mast attachment on the forward side of
the mast...it does not need to be on a track and about 1 or 2 feet  above
the boom would be reasonable.

When I said 20 degrees to weather I meant 20 degrees to weather from dead
down wind so not from directly over the stern as on a wing on wing run but
20 degrees forward of that on either tack, like a bit aft of a broad reach

http://ca.binnacle.com/index.php?cPath=28_123

Dwight Veinot
1974 C&C 35, Alianna
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS