{Stus-List} wing-on-wing questions?

Alan Bergen Alan-at-Home at comcast.net
Sat Jun 28 18:38:14 EDT 2008

What tack you're on is determined by what side the boom is on, not where the wind is coming from.  Based on your scenario, the preventer on the starboard side puts you on port tack.  If you are in close proximity to another boat on port tack, the leeward boat has the right of way.  (If another boat is on your port side, you have the right of way.  If the other boat is on your starboard side, that boat has the right of way.) Both boats on the same tack - windward leeward rule determines right of way.  However, there are exceptions (for example at mark roundings).

With the same scenario (preventer on the starboard side) a starboard tack boat has the right of way over you.  Both boats on opposite tacks - port starboard rule determines right of way.

--
Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty

From: "Terry Johnson" <tj622 at comcast.net>