{Stus-List} mast climbing - Using water to heel the boat.

Colin Beckmann alchemist1 at rogers.com
Fri Dec 4 14:52:52 EST 2009

I remember seeing the original pictures.  The bags were initially shown
hanging from the halyards on either side of the mast, all ready
filled.   The next shot showed the boat starting to heel and then
subsequent shots showed the boat farther heeled, until it passed under
the bridge.

so here are my thoughts.

1) you want to try this without the bridge first....   just a thought.
2)  do some simple math, figure out how long the halyards have to be.
You don't want to have to lift the bags after they have weight in the.
This will be hard on the people doing the grinding, hard on the winches
etc.   You also need to take into account the strength of the structure
holding the blocks at the foot of the mast.   If that lets go you are
going to have a mess, and probably major damage to all things that the
halyards pass through and or connect to.   Like for instance it will
probably rip the organizers off the deck.  You do not want them to touch
the water because that will affect steerage. When performing this
maneuver you want all the control you can have.
3) It strikes me that you need to fill the bags to a certain volume that
can provide you with an initial heel.  I am not sure what the weight
would be and it does not really matter.  It is a try try try try again
thing.  Don't start with a lot.
4) Once you have a few hundred lbs of water into the bags you winch
these out board. Which will give you some initial heal.
5)  Now add water via a pump to the bags until you have the desired heel.
6) Now drive the boat around a bit and see what it is like.   You are
going to move slow.  If you are executing a turn and you change where
the bags by them swinging, you are going to either increase or decrease
your heel.  Results will vary.  After your comfortable you can set it up
again and go under the bridge.

Regards
Colin