{Stus-List} 3-strand vs. Double Braid for anchor rode

Dennis C. captbuy at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 1 07:31:00 EDT 2009

Chafe is NOT your friend.  I learned the hard way several years ago.  I was sitting out a tropical storm in a good lee when the wind swung and the boat started bouncing in 2-3 foot seas.  The anchor rode parted at the chock.  If anybody wants a nice Danforth Hi-Tensile 22, some chain and about 100 feet of nylon rode, it's at approximately 30 20.26N 87 07.13W.  :(

Some say nylon rodes part due to the heat of chafing or stretching.  I don't know.  All I know is that now I always put on chafe protectors if any waves are expected.