{Stus-List} What to do, what to do...

Neil Gallagher njgallagher at optonline.net
Mon Jun 1 07:57:08 EDT 2009

Neil,

Since Skaneateles is about 17 miles long with a public launching ramp, something trailerable in the 18' - 22' range would be my suggestion.  That opens up a wide range of places to sail, as all the Finger Lakes and Lake Ontario are within 2 hours or so. There's a lot of one-design racing there; the Ligthning Class was designed by Olin Stephens for Skaneateles, and still raced actively. My family had a great time in Oday Day Sailors and Flying Scots.  By the way, the water in Skaneateles is so clean it is used unfiltered for drinking water in Syracuse.

If you prefer bigger boats, both Cayuga and Seneca Lake, each about 30 miles long, have connections to the Erie Canal, (a hinged mast would be nice) which get's you by water to Lake Ontario at Oswego, Lake Erie, Lake Champlain, and through the Hudson River, really anywhere in the world.  The Canal itself is a working museum, great fun in itself.

Neil