{Stus-List} rudder help 35 MK I - keyway

Don don31 at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 1 09:39:25 EDT 2009

I wonder if you could use a drill to facilitate cutting of the collar. Although, Joe for yours, it looks like a hammer may be fine.

By the way, do you happen to recall how far the key slot for the quadrant is cut above the quadrant? I am considering installing an under-deck autopilot that requires, ideally, an arm to connect the rudder shaft to the autopilot. I wonder how it could be fastened to the shaft. Unfortunately, my boat is 1500 miles away, so my commuting is even more than for Dennis

Joe, you queried why steel was used for the keel bolt. I expect it was partly because at the time they didn't expect the boat to last so long, or travel so far from Toronto. I have heard that George Cuthbertson remarked, jokingly, that they put too much glass in the boat - bad for business. In a few years, the boats will be forty years old... time for a party... or a hat?

Don