{Stus-List} Rusty Nuts

N7FN at aol.com N7FN at aol.com
Mon Jun 1 22:15:34 EDT 2009

C&C'rs

I don't know how accurate this is, got it through another e-mail  source.
Also, I haven't had a chance to try it.
I thought that with all of the rusty nuts out there  someone might give it
a  try and report back to us.

Good luck,

Frank

FOR YOU MECHANICS OUT THERE…………….SAVE  $$$$..............BUCK…………
.ACETONE IS FLAMABLE / VOLITILE SO "KEEP A LID ON  IT"
Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants  for break out
torque on rusted nuts.

Significant results! They are below, as forwarded by an  ex-student and
professional machinist, Bud Baker.

Don't forget the April 2007 "Machinist's Workshop"  magazine comparison
test.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular  penetrants with the
control being the torque required to remove the nut from a  "scientifically
rusted" environment.
Penetrating oil ..... Average  load

None ...................... 516  pounds

WD-40 ................... 238  pounds

PB Blaster .............. 214  pounds

Liquid Wrench ........ 127  pounds

Kano Kroil ............... 106  pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53  pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50  automatic
transmission fluid and acetone.

Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial  product in this one
particular test.

Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all  now use it with
equally good results.

Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as  "Kroil" for about 20%
of the  price.

cntnew00000007)