{Stus-List} Rusty Nuts

Micheal LeVine levine at bnl.gov
Tue Jun 2 12:47:28 EDT 2009

 From my own personal experience I have to cast some doubt on the
results below.
I had a stuffing box nut that was impossible to break loose. I tried
copious amounts of
Liquid Wrench and it just didn't work. I tried this over a period of 2
weeks, spraying on each
visit to the boat.  Nada.

On the advice of someone on a Sailnet forum, I tried Power Blaster. In
15 minutes following
the application, the nut came free.

The nut and stuffing box are brass, so perhaps the chemical
composition of corrosion in my
case was different from that of a steel nut rusted to a bolt.

I have even used Power Blaster to free a light bulb in my home
freezer. It was so badly corroded that
I was afraid I would break the glass if I tried too hard to unscrew
it. One shot of PB and it unscrewed
with no effort. My wife thinks I am a genius. Who am I to argue with
the Admiral?

That's my 2¢ worth. YMMV.

Micheal
S/V Tachyon