{Stus-List} Rudder reference

dwight veinot dwightveinot at hfx.eastlink.ca
Sat Jun 6 00:02:52 EDT 2009

It is straight forward but on my 35 MKII the space in which I had to work
was very tight and hard to gain access to...if the quadrant had been lying
there right in front of me on my workshop bench it would have been a piece
of cake...maybe the job will be easier on your 32 than it was on y older 35.
And for the Raynarine wheel pilot to work right the rudder sensor data is
essential, otherwise it won't steer even close to a straight course in calm
seas with no wind.  If I had it to do again I would go with a below deck
unit, 6000 or something like that and forget the wheel pilot altogether...it
has big limitations even when you finally get it all set up right...If I am
not mistaken, Gary Russell just ditched a Raymarine 4000 MkII wheel pilot
with properly fitted rudder sensor for a below deck unit and that is what I
will probably do as well because I just could never feel comfortable with
the wheel pilot steering my boat totally unattended for more than a few
minutes...mine now has a working rudder sensor and seems OK but I don't feel
that it is reliable enough or strong enough or fast enough or whatever to
rely on for unattended steering...It is deficient and can only be used with
confidence when it is being watched

Dwight Veinot
1974 C&C 35, Alianna
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS