{Stus-List} Leaking Gate? - repair/replace?

Frederick G Street fred at postaudio.net
Sun Jun 7 21:27:02 EDT 2009

Nate -- if your other "seacocks" have "plumbing type round handled
shutoff valves," they are probably the gate valves and should be
replaced before they jam at an inopportune time.  The one with a lever
sounds more like a proper ball valve, and might be an Apollo ball
valve.  Does it look something like this?

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|106370|813148|319675|
860854&id=141984

Unfortunately, the Apollo's don't have the nut opposite the handle you
mention; but they're also relatively inexpensive (about $35 for a 1-
inch valve).  You might want to think about replacing ALL the
"plumbing type" valves with these, if not true seacocks.

Fred Street -- Minneapolis