{Stus-List} Leaking Gate? - repair/replace?

Jim Watts jimwatts at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 7 21:29:24 EDT 2009

It sounds like that valve is the only "real" marine valve on the boat. The round-handled ones are gate valves, so called because there is a sliding shutoff gate thingy inside the valve. The leaky one is likely a ball valve, which is similar to a seacock in many ways. Your standard in-line ball valve is usually equipped with tapered thread fittings (NPT - National Pipe Tapered), while a seacock has a straight (NPS) thread on the intake and a NPT thread on the outflow side.
Real through-hulls have NPS threads so the nut or seacock can be threaded down onto it a far as needed to clamp it tightly to the hull, unlike the finite interference fit of NPT threads.
Seacocks of that era were usually of the tapered plug style vs the ball valve style as found in modern Marelon fittings and some bronze fittings.

What all this means is you probably have a relatively modern ball valve which is usually replaced instead of repaired. If it can be dismantled fairly easily it may be worthwhile having a look at it. You don't get a huge amount of water in the boat when you pull a fitting if you have a tapered plug handy to pound into the through-hull (or dive on the boat and use an appropriate flip-top drain plug on the outside), but it would probably be a lot less stress doing it out of the water.

Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift
C&C 35 Mk III