{Stus-List} trimming...

Gary Nylander gnylander at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jun 10 10:39:18 EDT 2009

I have been sailing my 30-1 for 15 years now, and installed inboard tracks
about 14 years ago. I have 155, 140 and 110 sails and run them all to the
inboard tracks. The 110's clew just hits the shrouds when sheeted. Yes, the
30-1 is stiff and will carry the 155 to 20+ apparent, which is what we do -
over that and you are rail in the water which is not as fast as the number
2. I only use the 3 for really heavy stuff (25 and above true). Sunday, we
went out in about 10-11 true and had a great cruise with the 3 up, sheeted
on the tracks, no luff flutter, and no great heel, as it would have spilled
the wine.

If you are interested in pointing ability, I agree with Dwight that you need
to barber-haul the sail inboard - but cannot think of what to hook it to. If
the clew is forward or even with the shrouds, you may hook a barber-hauler
to the shrouds.... With a low-cut jib, you cannot use the cabin-top winch or
cleats, so are stuck with sheeting to the toe rail. You will get about 13-14
or more degrees of lead in angle with the blocks on the rail and can get
about 11 with tracks, thus greater pointing ability. I have thought about
mounting cabin-top tracks and sheeting the #3 inside the shrouds, but use
the #3 so seldom (light-air Chesapeake) that I don't think it is worth the
trouble. I would also probably need a flatter #3.

This is not answering your original question, which is how to get rid of the
leech flutter. The only way is to tighten the leech cord and if that gives
you too much leech curl, then you need to alter the sail.

Gary Nylander
30-1 #593