{Stus-List} "Cheaping it"

Frederick G Street fred at postaudio.net
Wed Jun 10 13:09:50 EDT 2009

I ran into a similar issue with a powerboater that wanted me to figure
out why his batteries were dead.  This was a 28-foot twin inboard
setup with a full cabin below.  They'd go out anchoring for a couple
of days, run lights, stereo and the fridge full time, and the
batteries would be dead by day 2.  In checking, he had three Group 27
batteries: one to start each engine and one for the house.  The house
battery was deep cycle and had a nominal capacity of 100Ah.  Do the
math: a fridge pulling 4 amps at a 50% duty cycle would use 48Ah in a
24-hour day, basically pulling all the usable juice out of the house
battery (figuring a recommended 50% discharge), and this is without
lights and the stereo.

I told him that to do what he'd want, he would need to upgrade the
house bank to at least double its current size, and preferably more.
He also had a 10-amp (!) shorepower charger; I told him that had to be
replaced, too.

After several hours worth of time going over and over and over the
math, he just couldn't get why his existing battery wasn't enough.  He
got mad, called me some names and refused to pay the bill.  Then he
replaced his dead house battery with a cheapo from W at lm@r+ -- it
lasted exactly one trip out overnight.  Last I heard, he had ordered a
new, larger boat.   :^)

Fred Street -- Minneapolis