{Stus-List} "Cheaping it"

Steve Rosen alert451 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 10 13:11:52 EDT 2009

I (used to belong) was associated with a yacht club that maintained their launch ( a Tripp launch with a westerbeak ) using the all too affordable NAPA auto parts- no slight to NAPA- they make fine parts or cars- and most holiday weekends, sunday evenings, the launch was out of service...the most frequent cause?  failure of NAPA electrical parts, starters, and other auto grade repairs.  What is more expensive than a YC where the launch does not run...since the club is located on the shore of a usually choppy river with lots of (high speed) motorboat and ferry traffic, strong currents and tides, a beach launched dingy and 1/2 mile row just did not suit the attitudes- or the physical abilities of most members ad their wives.

Far as I can tell, they repeat history year after year...somehow expecting a different outcome.

The lesson- as this thread suggests- don't go cheap (different than thrifty) on maintaining a sailboat