{Stus-List} "Cheaping it" - OEM parts

Steve Thomas sthoma20 at sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 10 16:25:41 EDT 2009

 re NAPA

    Aftermarket autoparts rarely last anywhere near as long as the OEM. Even
things as seemingly simple as exhaust pipe or brake lines rot out in no
time.
    Sometimes however, either when OEM parts are available from various
suppliers, or when only aftermarket replacements are available, considerable
savings can be had by shopping around.  Last year a customer at the marina
where I dock my boat ordered a set of injectors through the marina from a
marine supplier. He was later advised that the same parts were in stock at a
local farm supply, so he went and bought one to do a comparison. When the
injectors from the marine supplier came in, they were identical to the one
from the farm supply. Same manufacturer (NGK), same markings, same
everything except almost 4 times more expensive from the marine supplier. I
am not sure now about which make and model of engine was involved, but I
will find out if asked. Many marine engines share common parts with their
terrestrial equivalents, but where the parts differ, there is a reason.

Steve Thomas

Ontario