{Stus-List} Oil filter preference

cscheaffer at comcast.net cscheaffer at comcast.net
Wed Jun 10 22:52:46 EDT 2009

I have the same Universal M4-30 as D w ight and was using Fram Ultra Guard for the last 6 years until I read a comparative essay on filters which described the inards of every brand, and just started using Puralator Gold filters on both the boat and cars.  Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone.  I change each winter around haulout when the oil is hot, and I've been running the engine only about 30 to 40 hours each year so anything would probably work OK.  The difference between an economy filter and the best is less than five bucks, so I opt for the best and change every  year.  Keep  a spare  on board, so you're not hunting for parts at the end of the season.  During the winter buy a pair on sale.

Funny, t he oil filter used on a Universal M4-30 is the same as the one used on my Subaru.  The electric fuel pump is the same as the one used on a Nissan pickup truck.

Chuck, C&C 34r