{Stus-List} Sealants

dwight veinot dwightveinot at hfx.eastlink.ca
Thu Jun 11 09:24:37 EDT 2009

Mike
Varsol cleans up Sikaflex and 3M 4200 and 5200 pretty good.  I would rather
use it than acetone on my boat.

I don't use silicone sealant on anything on my boat; I have bad experiences
with its lasting adherence except where it isn't wanted and I would judge it
a poor bedding compound.  I prefer Sikaflex 295 UV but I did find a use for
3M 5200 on my boat (contrary to popular opinion).  I used it to fabricate my
cabin top mounted instrument pod which is made of white plexi pieces held
together with 5200 and some stainless screws.  It takes about a week to cure
and I needed to clamp pieces in place and it does run and seems to yellow a
bit in the sun.  I know 4200 comes in a fast cure version, I tried some but
I have very good luck with Sikaflex, 295 UV is what I use, even at nearly
$20 Cdn per tube, but I have been able to use the same tube even months
after it was first opened...sometimes I just cut the tube and take the
product out with a putty knife if it is too hard to get it to squeeze
out...OK for some jobs.

All are messy to work with so I always have Varsol and lots of rags
ready...I reglazed 2 large hatches this year with 295UV black and they
turned out great.  Time will tell more but they don't leak yet.

Dwight Veinot
1974 C&C 35, Alianna
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS