{Stus-List} What to do with jib sheets when flying a chute and youhave a RF jib

Bill Coleman coltrek at verizon.net
Thu Jun 11 10:47:01 EDT 2009

We leave the jib rolled up as we pull the spinnaker down using the
'envelope' method someone here mentioned. In the slot between the main and
the boom, and right down the companionway - when it is just about down,(and
clear) the jib is rolled out. I relayed this method to a couple friends of
mine who are really good racers, and they pretty much told me it was a
stupid idea. Then doing some club racing on a J160 they had some trouble in
heavy weather getting a massive A sail down, and tried this - Now they use
it all the time.

I know if we tied the sheets onto the headstay, we would forget 99% of the
time and be wondering why the jib was jammed . .   8^)

Bill Coleman
C&C 39

Greetings,

The boat I crew on Wednesday nights(as bowman) has hanked on head sails. We
fly a
symmetrical chute and perform end-for-end gybes. When I gybe the chute I put
the jib sheet
on top of the pole end that is going out, followed by the new guy in the jaw
and push it
out and at the same time release the old guy and shake off the other jib
sheet before
putting the old tack end on the mast.

Tending the jib sheets like this makes it easy to fly both the chute and jib
momentarily
during launches and take downs and helps keep me from getting the strings
all tangled up
in the process.

My own C&C 33-1 has its headsail on a roller and is rigged for end-for-end
spinnaker
gybes. When furled my jib sheets are almost half way up the fore stay. My
question is what
do you folks with roller furlers do with the jib sheets when flying a
spinnaker? I have
heard that some bowman take a sail tie and lash the jib sheets to the head
stay below the
RF drum so the sheets lie on the deck. If one does this how do you raise the
chute behind
the head sail or take it down behind the head sail? I suppose if the jib
sheets were long
enough you could still run them over the pole as needed. Is this the
solution or is there
another way?

Ken