{Stus-List} 36 C & C lines

Edward Newman ketch2 at charter.net
Fri Jun 12 10:02:22 EDT 2009

Anthony,

The four forward are probably:

The two cable would be jib halyards.  These will probably exit the top
of the mast through sheaves internal to the mast at the center of the
mast head.  These may exit the mast on opposite sides or the same
side. Not sure what kind of deck organizers you have or if they were
ever led aft.  Since you have four winches at the base of the mast,
they might not have ever been led aft -- which is okay for cruising
with adequate crew.  If the boat was previously raced or shorthanded,
the previous owner may have run the lines back to the cockpit.
Without knowing what kind of deck hardware you have or what your
intentions are for using the boat, it would be hard to suggest anything.

The two rope would be spin halyards.  These will exit the mast head
outboard of the the two jib halyards and exit the bottom of the mast
at the the coach top -- usually on opposite sides.  Again what to do
with them depends on what you want to do with the boat and the
existing hardware.

The one cable midway down the mast is probably your topping lift for
the spinnaker pole.  This line will go through a sheave where it
enters the mast and exit at the coach roof.  This line is usually led
aft to a winch and sheet stopper on the coach roof so it can be
adjusted during jibes.

The next cable down sounds like it would be the baby stay.  The baby
stay stabilizes the mast going upwind and ads prebend to the mast to
help shape your main (flatten for upwind performance) and is attached
to the mast.  The other end is usually attached to the deck forward of
the mast -- sometimes to a vang on a car or hydraulic cylinder or
chainplate or pad eye.  If using a spinnaker, you need to be able to
detach it at the deck and move it aft so you can jibe the spinnaker.
If this line is attached to a vang, the tail is usually led aft so it
can be adjusted from the cockpit.

On the aft side of the mast:

The cable is typically for the main.  If it goes through a sheave at
the mast head -- it's definitely for the main.  Many people replace
the cable halyards with rope so whichever one goes through the sheave
is the main.  The topping lift to hold the boom up will be attached to
the top of the mast and usually runs through a block and cleat on the
boom.

I hope I helped answer your question and am not stating the obvious to
you.  Like Dennis said, even many sister ships are rigged
differently.  Depending on how the previous owner used the boat, it
could be set up to run everything aft or minimal lines aft.  Also, if
you would state your model/size C&C, you would probably get lots of
help from listers who have the same model.

Ed Newman
Sovereign C&C 39

On Jun 11, 2009, at 9:58 PM, <tdimattia at acesdirect.com> <tdimattia at acesdirect.com