{Stus-List} Bonomine

Bill Coleman coltrek at verizon.net
Fri Jun 12 10:15:31 EDT 2009

Mike - When it gets very lumpy and I leave the helm for a period, I quite
often become stricken.

The Transderm Scop saved me and my daughters a few times. I like it, and
other than cotton mouth, no side effects other than It seemed to allow me to
drink more without ill effects. Make sure any females are NOT pregnant when
taking this.
You just reminded me, and I just entered a request for Scopace, the tablet
form of the patch -
I have 29 pages on the subject, very informative, but too big to post here -
I will email it to you. The last page has the most interesting suggestion,

<<Seasickness Comments (from Practical Sailor Mailport, Feb 09)
I am an offshore sailor, susceptible to seasickness, and a practicing
anesthesiologist. It is with this expertise that I offer the following
thoughts on your excellent recent article on "Cures Seasickness" (Practical
Sailor, January 2009).
I have been using Transderm Scop since its introduction, both on the boat
and for treating post operative nausea. In fact, we had some samples from a
drug rep that we tried on a Marion Bermuda Race in the early 1980s before
the drug was available to the public. I have seen all of the side effects
you mention in your article.
However, if one limits the time that the patch is worn to 24 to 36 hours
maximum, the side effects will be minimal in most people. I was pleased to
learn about Scopace in your article. I believe it is a better alternative to
the patch because of the dosing flexibility and more rapid onset of
effectiveness.
I am surprised that you did not mention Dexedrine, dextroamphetamine, in
your article. The gold standard for relief of motion sickness is a
combination of oral Scopolamine (0.4 mg) taken with Dexedrine (2.5-5 mg).
This combination works very quickly and is the only regimen that will
relieve symptoms of seasickness even when they are well established.
However, the dexedrine requires a physician’s prescription, and many
physicians will not be familiar with the use of dexedrine for motion
sickness. You can find extensive references to share with your physician by
Googling "Dexedrine and Scopolamine for Motion Sickness."
Dexedrine is an amphetamine and as such is a controlled drug, so you need to
be sure you have a valid prescription to keep it on board. This combination
was developed by NASA to treat motion sickness in astronauts. Ephedrine is a
more benign stimulant without the negative connotations of an amphetamine
that can be used as an alternative to dexedrine in a dose of 12.5-25mg by
mouth, but again not without your physician’s advice.
The definitive expert on motion sickness is Dr. Charles Oman, director of
the Manned Vehicle Lab at MIT, who is also a sailor. I have heard him speak
at Safety at Sea Seminars and seen articles he has written in sailing
publications.
Dr. Richard Lilly,
South Glastonbury, Conn.>>

I am trying to cop this combination now - ;^)

Bill Coleman
C&C 39

We have been using Bonomine for the past seven years.  It is great because
it is non drowsy and seems to have little side effects as well as cheap and
good for 24 hrs.

This year I have been told it is no longer being manufactured.

Anybody know anything on this?  Is there some suitable replacement?

The pharmacist suggest the patch (takes a long tome to take effect and lasts
longer) or Gravol(drowsy).  Neither of which I like.

Mike

This List is provided by the C&C Photo Album http://www.cncphotoalbum.com
CnC-List at cnc-list.com

database 4150 (20090612) __________