{Stus-List} 36 C & C lines

Gary Graham graham313 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 13 16:55:51 EDT 2009

Conrad, the only reason to want a halyard to exit on a particular side of the mast (especially if it means crossing internally in the mast) is for racing purposes. Picture yourself coming into a common port mark rounding where your boat is on the starboard tack layline and heeled about 20 - 25 degrees. If the spinnaker halyard you wanted to use exited the port side of the mast, the mastman would be down on the lowside of the boat (NOT where you want the weight) trying to raise the spinnaker by jumping that halyard while at the same time trying not to fall off. Much better for him/her to be on the high side of the boat with lots of bracing area to give the leverage needed to get the spinnaker up quickly.

Gary Graham, Contender, C&C35 Mk-1, Hull #144