{Stus-List} Buying a boat out of state and bringing to Maryland

Brad Kuether bkuether at comcast.net
Sun Jun 14 07:55:48 EDT 2009

Hello Everyone,

Anyone have any personal experiences in the US (Not Canada)  with purchasing an out of state boat from a broker and bringing it another state, specifically Maryland?

The broker in Illinois indicates he may need to charge me sales tax if the title is transferred there.  The sales tax rate is 6.5%.  In Maryland the excise tax is 5%.  I would be fine paying the 6.5% as long as Maryland viewed the sales tax as a "Reciprocal Credit for Tax Paid to Another State", on their NRB-240 form.

It looks like most "reasonable" states will give a credit, all they are concerned about is the tax "dodge" which is not the case here.  I want to pay my fair share.

Any insight would be great with anyone who had similar experience....

Thanks so much,

-Brad, Mary, Monica, and Jarod
"Scholar"
C&C 29 Mark II