{Stus-List} Buying a boat out of state and bringing to Maryland

Neil Andersen neandersen at verizon.net
Sun Jun 14 11:52:09 EDT 2009

Brad,

The answer is "it depends".  PA came after me for the difference between the
MD 5% and the PA 6% until I proved that the vessel was never in PA (all I
had to show was receipts for the slip and winter storage).  They (PA) were
actually nice about it.

The real question is why do you need to title in Ill.  If you are going to
take it directly out of state (to MD), you should be able to title in MD and
pay the 5%.  Depending on how you are going to transport the boat might make
a difference.  If you are taking it on a trailer yourself, or are you having
it transported?  If you are having it transported, have them transport it to
MD before you "tale ownership".  If you are sailing it (and it is a
federally documented vessel), Ill shouldn't be able to charge you as long as
you don't stay in their waters for an extended period of time.

My 0.02 cents.

Neil