{Stus-List} 36 C & C lines

Gary Nylander gnylander at atlanticbb.net
Sun Jun 14 19:27:00 EDT 2009

I'm going to disagree on taking all the winches off and running all the lines back..... it depends on what you do with the boat. I did that, upgraded my winches, and put all the lines (except outhaul and cunningham) back to the cockpit.

Now, there are too many functions in the cockpit when racing. Great for cruising and short-handed but a cluster mess when trying to gibe the main, drop the chute, raise the genoa, and get around a mark. Main trimmer, two jib trimmers, driver, and a halyard person gets a bit crowded.

I race on a Rhodes 41 and a J-24 which have functions left on the mast, which makes it a lot easier to get things done.

So, figure out what you are going to do most and then plan accordingly. I do agree that with today's line locks, you don't need a winch and cleat for each line. The Rhodes shares a couple winches on the mast with some line locks and the mast person has room and opportunity to get his/her job done.

If your C&C, like mine when I bought her, has winches on the deck for halyard functions, I would think you could move some up on the mast to get better leverage for those up/down functions. I wasn't thrilled to be bending down to the dorade boxes on my 30-1 to raise and lower, so moved those to the cockpit, and now I have too much going on in a small space.

Just my $.035 (inflation).

Gary