{Stus-List} Buying a boat out of state and bringing to Maryland

Morgenstern, Keith E CIV SEA 08 NR keith.morgenstern at navy.mil
Mon Jun 15 09:13:00 EDT 2009

My experience is that MD will come after you one way or another.

A friend bought a boat in New Orleans, lived aboard there for a year,
then moved to MD.  He was military, but the "exempt from paying" law was
overturned...
So the tax man came looking for their 5%.  My recollection is that MD
didn't care that you paid to some other state.

MD gets you both ways:
--If you buy it in MD, it's 5% "sales tax"
--If you bring it from somewhere else, it's 5% "usage tax"  regardless
if it is a CG Documented vessel or not.

If I were you, I would try to stiff the State of Ill.

-Keith