{Stus-List} Instruments

Dennis C. captbuy at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 14:47:53 EDT 2009

I installed a Nexus 2000 (now Comnav NX2) system on Touche' in 1999.  Replaced the depth transducer (lightning strike?) and the masthead wind unit.  Other than that, the instruments have performed well.  The multidisplay provides more info than most casual sailors need.  One thing the Nexus system provides is wind relative VMG.  That is, velocity made good directly upwind or directly downwind.  This differs from "VMG" according to a GPS which is really WCV, waypoint closure velocity.  I find VMG very valuable for racing.  I'd consider NX2 again if I was replacing.

I'd also consider NKE instruments.  Have heard good things about them.  Mauripro Sailing sells both the NX2 and the NKE systems.  A full wind/speed/depth system will run you about $2300 for NX2 and about $2500 for NKE.

I've been on several boats with Raymarine instruments.  Other than the bad experience with their wheelpilots, I haven't heard much negative on their instruments.

I've installed B&G instruments on a couple boats and they're still working.