{Stus-List} Nexus NX2

Howard and Evelyn Paul emphap at optonline.net
Thu Jun 18 22:07:39 EDT 2009

Some more thought about Nexus.  I installed a Nexus NX2 system on my 35
MKIII about 5-6 years ago and have slowly upgraded it to the 1 meter
masthead wind instrument on the carbon fiber rod as well as using the
NX2 race computer software.  The instruments have a self calibrating
feature that compensates for port/stbd variations as well as aligning
offset.   With the 1 meter rod there is (purportedly) no problems with
up wash and there is a compensation for downwind apparent wind
computation.  The system is very sophisticated and has almost unending
data display possibilities.  I have my target boat speed posted under
the speed through the water on the mast as well as true wind angle and
under that optimum gybe angle.  If you program in the marks and the
start line, it will tell you when to tack, your next tack direction,
etc.  With the steer pilot set on compass, it will keep you on course as
well as indicate lifts and headers.  If set on wind and programmed for
your hard on the wind true wind angle, it serves as a close hauled
indicator.  Most of the Nexus instruments are meant for large cargo and
cruise ships, with the sail boat venue being newer, but well supported
by the companies owner, who usually shows up at the boat shows (met him
at Annapolis) and is interested in owner feedback.  The instruments are
cheaper than B & G (had them for 20+ years, nothing bad to say about
them) and just as versatile.  You will need an inboard computer to use
all of the race functions that the NX2 is capable of.  The new netbooks
from ASUS which can be had for under 250.00 US work well.  The company
is small and the system is somewhat complicated and tech support is, at
times, a challenge.  Overall, not a bad choice.
Howard Paul, Skipper, Knot Again