{Stus-List} New sail – too short in luff length

Bill Coleman coltrek at verizon.net
Fri Jun 19 14:59:04 EDT 2009

If just cruising, you might just like a pendant on the tack, I have one on a sail that came with the boat and it does give you much nicer visibility.  However, I would not suggest (to them) that I would be happy with this, and get some sort of discount.  You could actually try the pendant option and see if you like it.

I would definitely not have them add onto the sail, as most likely the load paths would be thrown off and eventually you would have a goofy looking sail.

They could probably re-sell it without much problem anyway.

Bill Coleman

C&C 39

 I had a new 135 Dacron genny built over the winter by a national sailmaker. I cruise only – no racing. The sail consultant measured the boat and sent in the measurement for the sail to be made. I received the sail over the winter but just installed it late last weekend (boat was very late getting in the water). It was too short in the luff length by 15 inches (approx 41 foot luff measurement). After finally being able to contact the consultant and explain the problem, he discovered that the wrong number was entered into the computer during the sail manufacture.

So now how to proceed? I paid for a custom build sail but that is not what I got. What would it take to correct this mistake?

- I know I could add a pendent(s) to the present sail but this is not what I think I want to do.

- Is a completely newly built sail with the correct measurements the only way to get what I paid for?

- Can the present sail be “corrected” to almost “like-it-was-supposed-to-be” by adding cloth to foot, the head, or both? What would it take?

I'm meeting with the consultant on my boat Monday afternoon to discuss my options. What option(s) should I insist on?

Rod

C&C 33-1 1976