{Stus-List} New sail - too short in luff length

dwight veinot dwightveinot at hfx.eastlink.ca
Sat Jun 20 16:11:08 EDT 2009

Rod

15 inches short in the luff may not be a big issue.  If you have spinnaker
halyards attached externally then that will only help the sail furl easily
without getting snagged in a halyard and without having to install a halyard
restrainer on the furling jib.  I also don't think you would gain much in
performance if any at all and you say you mostly cruise so that really isn't
an issue anyway.  Stay friendly with your sail maker and get him/her
involved based on what you think was their mistake.  I think the sail will
work well on your boat anyway.  Most C&C designs do well with a little less
sail, your 33-1 however is quite stiff and can use its entire sail plan but
I don't think changing a 135 that is 15 inches long in the luff and used
mostly for cruising is a good idea unless the sail can't be made to trim at
all.  Just learn to use the sail, and then if it doesn't work, change it,
and keep your sail maker involved al along the way, ask him to show you how
the sail he built should work, you can learn a lot from him, unless you are
already an Olympic champion.and those champions just learn faster than most
of us about what an old C&C design likes for sails and how to make her go
fast.

Dwight Veinot

1974 C&C 35, Alianna

Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS