{Stus-List} PVC inflatables - premature demise - RIP

Dennis C. captbuy at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 22 08:33:32 EDT 2009

Over the weekend the entire left side of the floor in my Zodiac inflatable dinghy separated from the tube.  It separated in a matter of a few minutes.  As I ferried the admiral and me to the beach, water gushed in through the split and filled the dinghy a foot deep.  The water flowed out OVER the transom as we motored.

It is essentially toast and will probably end up in the dumpster.  It was about 7 years old.

It was a Zodiac playwood floor model 285 Cadet.  Several of my friends own the same dinghy.  Each of them has suffered a separation of the floor from the tube.

I had tried to repair it last year.  In spite of following the glue manufacture's precise instructions with regard to low humidity in the work area, extensive and careful cleaning preparation of the surfaces, the repair failed.  A couple of my friends had theirs repaired professionally only to suffer failure of the repair.

I will purchase a Hypalon inflatable as a replacement.

For any listers considering purchasing a PVC dinghy - DON'T!  Read this:  http://www.boatus.com/boattech/inflatables.htm

I searched the Internet to see if there was a class action lawsuit on these dinghies but found none.  Probably wouldn't be worthwhile anyway.  Even if successful, the lawyers would make a few bucks and the owners of these POS's would end up with a manufacturer's coupon to buy another one at a discount.  NOT!!

If I'd written this emai yesterday, it wouldn't be so tactful.